Friday, April 29, 2016

Last Few Days in Doha

Evening in Doha
I wanted to shared about my last two days working at the Shafallah Center. They were amazing! I had a wonderful time working with mothers of children with autism. I have no photos of the workshops as one of the royal family members was in attendance for both days and they often do not allow photos to be taken. Even though our cultures are very different, people all over the world have the same concerns and needs. It was a humbling experience when one of the participants told me she was saddened knowing that there were more opportunities for her child in the US. Part of my role was to help them learn to advocate for themselves and work with companies that are interested in social justice. Every one of my business cards was taken at the workshops! I also met with a member from the US State Department who immediately asked if I would come back! If there was another opportunity, I would certainly take it! This has been a fantastic experience and I would strongly recommend it to anyone. I have learned about a new culture, made new friends that I will most probably communicate with for the rest of my life, and hope to have helped to share knowledge that was new and helpful to this center. Now, I'm preparing for my 14-hour flight home. I look forward to sharing stories with the Salus community soon!


Group photo with Emir Plaque


- Barbara Schwartz-Bechet, MS, EdD, is the associate dean for the Salus University College of Education and Rehabilitation

No comments:

Post a Comment